Highly trained educators have been a steadfast hallmark of Trident Academy. Keeping true to this doctrine, all teachers in The School for Asperger’s/HFA at Trident Academy are earning their Registered Behavior Technician (RBT) certification. This entry-level certification provides candidates with the training necessary to implement behavior plans designed by Board Certified Behavior Analysts (BCBA).
Courtney Thames, Trident Academy’s director of applied behavior analysis, earned her BCBA in the spring. As the school’s resident BCBA, Ms. Thames is leading the RBT certification process for six Trident Academy faculty. Earlier this month, these teachers completed a 40-hour Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) course and will meet monthly for training sessions. Each must pass the RBT Competency Assessment to become certified.
“We did the training as a continued effort to ensure our staff are as prepared and well-rounded as possible when working with our students,” Ms. Thames explains. “They are the experts and having this certification helps attest to their skill in the classroom.”
Trident Academy teachers who completed the ABA training this August include:
- Julia Carter who teaches science
- Laura Bryant who teaches students in the 4th grade for The School for Language- Based Learning Differences
- Erik Fossdal who teaches students in grades 3, 4, and 5 for The School for Asperger’s/HFA
- Colby Doetzer who teaches students in grades K, 1, and 2 for The School for Asperger’s/HFA
- Lauren Bolen who assists Mr. Fossdal
- Lauren Suman who assists Ms. Doetzer
Ms. Thames plans to lead additional ABA trainings for the months ahead. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.