Two Week Course
70 hours of instruction
(includes 10 hours of training beyond the required 60 hours)
(space is limited-register now)
Topics to include the following:
* Principles of Orton-Gillingham instruction
* Nature and needs of dyslexic learners
* Phonological awareness
* Sound-symbol relationships
* Syllable types and division patterns
* Spelling rules and generalizations
* Handwriting instruction
* Reading fluency
* Integration of vocabulary & comprehension instruction
* Structured, multi-sensory teaching techniques
* Lesson plan development and delivery
* Informal diagnostic-prescriptive assessment of reading, spelling, and
Cost: $1,200 (includes textbooks and materials, $600 non-refundable deposit due by May 15, 2016.
Course Instructor: Janet Jones, Accredited Training Fellow, AOGPE.
Janet is the Director of Orton-Gillingham Instruction at Trident Academy. She has more than 30 years of experience working as an Orton-Gillingham instructor, teaching children, with varying needs, at all levels of the language continuum. She travels extensively throughout the Southeast training teachers in the Orton-Gillingham approach. She has a B.S. in Speech and Language Pathology from Northwestern University and an M.A. in Learning Disabilities from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She spent 22 years at The Jemicy School in Maryland where she was an Orton-Gillingham therapist, tutorial department head, and Orton-Gillingham trainer. Trident Academy and Jemicy School share a common ancestry and are among the first schools for dyslexic students in our country. She is the co-creator of Moose Materials, a collection of activities and games to support Orton-Gillingham instruction. She has been a speaker at local, regional, and international dyslexia conferences.