4 Day Course
30 hours of instruction
(space is limited-register now)
Topics to include the following:
- Beyond the Basics: a review of the Orton-Gillingham approach
- Current understanding of dyslexia and the brain
- Formal and informal assessments
- Test interpretation and implications for teaching
- Knowledge of other programs based on Orton-Gillingham principles
- Teaching older and more advanced students:
- Advanced word attack strategies
- Morphology, teaching roots and affixes
- Reading fluency
Cost: $600 (includes textbooks and materials) $300 non-refundable deposit due by May 1, 2016.
Course Instructor: Sheila Costello, Accredited Training Fellow, AOGPE.
Sheila currently trains in the Charleston and Savannah areas at the Associate and Certified levels. She is the former Director of Language Enrichment and Development (LEAD) and Training Fellow at Trident Academy. Sheila has a M.S. in Clinical Chemistry from Northeastern University, but as a parent of a dyslexic child, changed careers and trained in OG at The Carroll School in Lincoln, MA. She worked as a tutor at Carroll before becoming head of the Garside Institute for Teacher Training. She taught Certified level courses at The Carroll School before relocating to Charleston. She has trained Trident faculty to the Certified level since 2011. This is the first year that Trident Academy has offered Certified level course work to non-faculty members.